Monday, November 10, 2008

Yes, and…

So this past Saturday I went to my first in a series of eight improv classes… classes that normally would cost over $300, but that I get to take for free because my friend Jessi is completely awesome and won them in a raffle, and then gave them to me.

In-as-much as the class is geared toward teaching us how to interact in spontaneous ways to create comedic sketches, the things we learn about, and perhaps, I guess, out of necessity, teach us to listen and respond in ways that affirmatively move dialogue and plot forward. To this end, one of our main exercises was doing three line exchanges with a partner. It worked like this:

Two people stand up (just first to stand get to do it - but the unspoken rule is that no one goes twice until everyone has gone once) and take the stage.

Someone (anyone) yells out something (anything). Could be "outer space" or "shovels" or "scared."

The two people on stage then take turns taking that idea somewhere in three lines.

The point is not to be funny - but simply to respond in a logical, affirmative way (no questions because it puts all the creative onus on your partner!), building on what the other person gives:

A) Wow. These shovels sure are dirty!

B) Yes. These shovels are dirty. And the dirt is awfully stinky.

A) Yes. It is stinky. And I think I see the pile of shit that is to blame!

It was a really fun time… and I'm looking forward to my next class…

No comments: